Douglas and Duff mix to toss three-hitter on mound as Skyhawks full first NEC collection win
HANOVER, Md. (April 16, 2023) – Stonehill School locked up the primary Northeast Convention collection win in this system’s NCAA Division I historical past with a 4-1 victory over Coppin State College in NEC baseball motion at Joe Cannon Stadium this afternoon.
Sophomore righthander Ryan Douglas and senior reliever Billy Duff mixed to restrict Coppin State to simply three hits for the afternoon. Douglas (1-1) allowed an earned run whereas scattering two hits and three walks over seven innings with 5 strikeouts for the win (second profession), whereas Duff shut the door for his first save of the season (fourth profession), yielding a success and two walks, with a strikeout over the ultimate two.
Swanholm had an RBI triple and scored a run for the Skyhawks immediately (PHOTO BY Jim Pierce)
- Senior Mike Swanholm continues to swing a scorching bat for Stonehill, ending 1-for-5 with a triple, RBI and run scored. He completed the three-game collection in Baltimore with 5 hits, together with a double, triple and residential run, with 4 RBI.
- Senior Conor Kiely, who has now hit safely in seven-straight and 17-of-18 video games, was 1-for-4 with an RBI, whereas junior Trey Ciulla-Corridor was one in every of two within the recreation with a number of hits, ending 2-for-5 with a double.
- Sophomore Taylor Gaspar chipped in with a pinch-hit RBI and later scored, whereas senior Chris Roberti belted a double and scored a run in three at bats.
- Sophomore Josh Hankins paced the Coppin State bats by hitting 2-for-3 with a double and RBI.
- Junior Tyler Nichol took the loss (0-3) on the mound for the Eagles, yielding two earned runs on three hits with 4 strikeouts and three walks, whereas hitting one other three batters, over 4 innings.
The way it Occurred
- Coppin State grabbed a fast lead within the backside of the primary as junior Brett Curran drew a lead off stroll and later scored on a two-out single via the left facet by Hankins.
- Stonehill evened the rating in its ensuing at bat with Swanholm’s one-out triple to proper heart that scored Roberti who had reached on a success by pitch.
Ciulla-Corridor had two hits for the Skyhawks, together with a double (PHOTO BY Crystal Ayn Hagberg)
The Skyhawks grabbed the lead within the fourth at the advantage of one other hit by pitch, this time by junior Jack Marshall who would come round and rating by stealing second, advancing to 3rd on a single from sophomore Sam Kidder after which crossing the plate on a wild pitch.
- Stonehill picked up two insurance coverage runs within the eighth as Gaspar drove in Swanholm, who reached on an error, with a one-out single up the center, earlier than scoring on a Kiely single via the left facet with two away.
- Duff got here on after which labored round a leadoff stroll, with profit from a double play, within the residence half of the eighth, after which escaped two on with none out with one other double play ball within the ninth, earlier than ending the sport with a strikeout.
Stonehill (5-25, 3-12 NEC) is again in motion on Tuesday, when it visits Harvard College for a non-conference matchup at 3 p.m., that shall be broadcast digitally in ESPN+. The Skyhawks return to Lou Gorman Discipline subsequent weekend for a three-game NEC collection towards Delaware State College beginning Friday at 3 p.m. Coppin State (12-23, 5-10 NEC) visits Central Connecticut State College for an NEC collection subsequent weekend.
For the newest on Stonehill Athletics, observe the Skyhawks by way of social media on Twitter, Fb and Instagram. Followers also can obtain the Stonehill Skyhawks “Entrance Row” cell app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.